AMAZON HERP ADVENTURE
This is a great introduction to the Amazon, staying in one of our favourite eco lodges with fantastic wildlife guides. Search for caiman, anaconda, fer der lance, pink toe tarantulas, pink dolphins, sloth, and much more. Wake up to the sounds of the jungle and immerse yourself in the Amazon ecosystem as you search for wildlife
(6 days / 5 nights)
Highlight: Complete your experience with one night camping, sharing the evening with thousands of jungle noises.
1st day (lunch / dinner):
- Transfer from the airport arrivals lounge to Iquitos (or hotel or the office) for shopping and last-minute coordination.
- Transfer to the port.
- Transfer in a fast boat for 3 hours, 140 kms. upriver from Iquitos, on the Amazon River.
- Distribution of bungalow and guidance. Delivery of list of animals that have been previously seen in the area.
- Boat trip to lake Sapote watching different birds, like parrots, jacanas, kingfishers, herons, panguanas, partridges, pigeons, cormorants, horned screamers, and then move to the other end of the Lake Moena where you can see also sloths and monkeys, as the night monkey, squirrel and dusky titi monkeys, and many other species.
- After watching a sunset over the forest of mirrors, back to Lodge.
- In the evening, boat ride to see caimans, nocturnal birds and mammals. 2nd day (breakfast / lunch / dinner):
- Breakfast very early.
- Leoncito Hike, where you appreciate the immense variety of flora around the Lodge area. At this walk you can taste the water that Uncaria tomentosa (cat's claw) has within its vines - some say it can cure cancer and AIDS. You'll also be amazed at how huge the ceiba tree is. In addition, you will see the world's smallest monkey, the pigmy marmoset, and the squirrel and tamarin monkeys. If you're lucky, you'll see the howler monkey, whose deafening roar can be heard many miles away.
- Boat trip to the Purura and Corriente Lakes and catch different kind of fishes, including the famous piranha (being more difficult to fish in March, April and May). This is an area that has many strangler vines, being the favorite spot of the bird "hoatzin" or shansho. This colorful bird looks like a prehistoric bird because it has three claws on the middle joint of the wing
- At night, you take a night walk in search of huge frogs, anacondas and tarantulas.
3rd Day (Breakfast / lunch / dinner):
- Breakfast very early.
- Boat trip to Casha Lake where is not easily accessible. Here you will row or walk depending on the level of the river, looking at different species of birds and monkeys.
- Excursion by boat to the lake Juanachi, where we use canoes. In this place, you'll see birds and animals more closely. Using the boats will return to the Lodge.
- At night canoe trip in search of caimans, nocturnal birds and mammals. 4th and 5th day (breakfast / lunch / dinner) Camping:
- The tours are from here on different from the others, because you will camp very deep in the jungle. We'll take you to the lake Tipashiro or Boca Bufeo or Alto Purura (depending on the level of the river), where we will establish a base camp to plan the different excursions. Here we serve lunch, dinner and breakfast and you can enjoy the pure and virgin Amazon jungle site where we guarantee you'll see countless species of animals.
- The next day, after breakfast, return to the lodge for lunch.
- Share your afternoon with friendly people of the jungle, in the village San Juan de Yanayacu. The visit is very spontaneous; travelers sometimes play football with them or just walk around the village. You can buy handicrafts that they make themselves based on seeds and vegetable ivory.
- At night, take a nocturnal excursion in search of herpetofauna.
6th Day (breakfast / lunch):
- Breakfast on the boat.
- Using small boats will take you to the Amazon River, where you will experience the most magical moment of your trip, which is to swim in the same river where the pink and gray dolphins live. You can see them, but, don't expect to touch. On the way back to the lodge, you will see the biggest aquatic plant in the world, the famous Victoria Regia. It is also easy to see iguanas.
- With your guide, you will be able to count all the animals seen in your Animal Primer
- Your experience of the jungle comes to an end and you will sail three hours back to Iquitos and take you to the hotel or airport.
PRIVATE TOUR: Price £425 PER PERSON SHARING BASED ON TWO PEOPLE TRAVELING - (SINGLE SUPPLEMENT ON REQUEST)
Lodings - all meals as per itinerary
all activities as per itinerary
Domestic & international flights - on request